GUIDE-TIPS-CHECKLIST for Real Estate Housing Buyer's in Dhaka,Bangladesh:
(initiative for awareness on purchase for flat or apartment in BD)
Are you planning to buy a flat in Dhaka, BD? Purchasing an apartment here in Bangladesh is not an easy task. One wrong step can drag you to lifelong pain.
Visit for guide, help, tips on right & legal agreement(Terms & Conditions).
The first home buyer's checklist. Things You Should Know Before Buying an Apartment.
Checklist before you select:
- Check as many areas as possible to match your minimum criteria. You'll get an idea about what you will get with your budget.
- Select which area of the city you prefer to buy an apartment. You may spend some time in that area and do analysis at home or at least find someone living in that area for a long time.
- Collect per squire feet rate of that area. Make sure you are getting value for money. Talk to different developers of the area. Check recent sales in the area. Do not depend on what developers or their agents say.
- Location -close to the facilities you require: Public Transport, Shop, Hospital, School-College-University, Park, play ground, Work.
- Environment - revisit the area at different time and week days before final selection. In Bangladesh and in Dhaka different areas have specific problem and those are chronic because of plan (or lack of plan) for the area.
- Noise -noise at day/night because of traffic or industry. Consider how sensitive you are and how it will affect your lifestyle.
- Air (smoke, dust or smell) -because of industry, lack of air flow and lack of open space.
- Sun Light: The property or adjacent property. Open space is essential. Are you blocked by other buildings?
- Utility: gas, electricity, water and drainage system, flood water level of the area.
- Overcrowd: Too close to Bus Stand, Shopping, Kitchen Market, School, College, University, even Mosque.
- Security: Street and building of your area.
- Service Charge: What are the service or maintenance charges? Should include municipal tax, common electricity charges, elevator charges and charges for hired help, like the garbage cleaner and security.
More to come: To learn more about the business sector. If you cannot have place to stay in exchange of 20 years (or all) of earning, where the money goes?
How they are grabbing land of poor and of ordinary people?
- How they are using money, power(administration and law) and muscle?
- How they are destroying the environment?
- How developers are making people to suffer?
- Systematically involving privileged & even ordinary people against nature and poor.
- They make money when
- they encourage government for illegal money to allow.
- they ask for government permission by escaping from taxes.
- they do not ask for government permission.
- they grab or buy land, materials.
- they make labor work cheap and even refuse to pay.
- they use cheap materials.
- they make you sign for booking in exchange of cheap gift(dinner set, tv, ornaments/jewelry, refrigerator, air ticket, air cooler, etc.).
- they offer you payment by installment(pay extra).
- they force you to pay in advance of handover.
- they offer you loan.
- they make you sign for deed of agreement.
- they delay handover.
- the manage and impose service & utility charges.
- they remain supreme authority of the project (satellite city, town) after even handover.
By the way, population is a great great problem in Bangladesh which makes everything very difficult for us. Like every business sector in BD, Real Estate and Housing Developers are on top over the buyers because of demand and supply. And demand is endless because of population. We have the right of better living but we've responsibility too. We should stop fooling ourselves.
Last Updated: January 12, 2010
We strongly request you to bookmark and come back to the page at every stage of purchasing a flat/apartment/property in Bangladesh, and share your experience to lessen the problem & pain of others around us. We may publish your opinion.